你的位置: 首页 > 英语口语学习

牛津雅思- 英语情态动词完整指南 Complete Guide to Modal Verbs

2022-10-23 21:19:15 | 人围观 | 评论:


Before we start, you should check out our website: Oxford Online English dot com.

在咱们起头以前,请去检察一下咱们的网站吧:Oxford Online English dot com。

You can find all our free English lessons.

你可以找到咱们所有的免费英语课程。

We also offer online classes with professional teachers, where you can study speaking, prepare for IELTS, improve your pronunciation, or whatever else you want!

咱们还供给专业西席的在线课程,你可以进修白话、筹备雅思、提多发音或其他任何你想要的课程!

Let's get back to our topic with some basic points you should know to use modal verbs correctly.

让咱们回到咱们的话题吧,你应当晓得的准确利用情态动词的根基要点。

Shall we start?

咱们可以起头了吗?

Yeah, we probably should!

是的,咱们可能应当起头了!

So, can you tell me something about modal verbs?

那末,你能跟我说讨情态动词吗?

Sure.

固然。

What would you like to know?

你想晓得甚么?

I must know everything about them!

我必要晓得它们的一切!

That might take a long time!

那可能必要很长时候!

You'll help me, though, right?

不外你会帮我的,对吧?

Of course, even though it may be challenging.

固然,虽然可能颇有挑战性。

There are nine modal verbs in English.

英语中有九个情态动词。

You just heard a dialogue with nine lines.

你方才听到了一段九行的对话。

Each line contains one modal verb.

每行包括一个情态动词。

Can you name the nine modal verbs in English?

你能说出英语中的九个情态动词吗?

Maybe you know them already, but if not, you can go back and try to find them in the dialogue.

或许你已熟悉它们了,可是若是没有的话,你可以归去试着在对话中找到它们。

The nine modal verbs are: can, could, may, might, will, would, shall, should and must. What do modal verbs do, and how are they different from other verbs?

这九个情态动词是:can, could, may, might, will, would, shall, should 和 must。情态动词有甚么感化,它们与其他动词有甚么分歧呢?

Also, why are they so important?

另有,为甚么它们如斯首要呢?

Modal verbs add information to other verbs.

情态动词为其他动词添加信息。

That's their job.

那就是它们的感化。

They can add ideas like possibility, uncertainty, or obligation to another verb.

它们可觉得另外一个动词中参加可能性、不肯定性或义务等观点。

Gra妹妹atically, modal verbs follow their own rules.

在语法上,情态动词遵守本身的法则。

Let's see what this means.

让咱们看看这象征着甚么吧。

Rule number one: a modal verb is followed by an infinitive verb, without 'to'.

第一条法则:情态动词后面加不定式动词,不加“to”。

For example: 'She can speak fluent Spanish.' 'We shouldn't do anything until we know more.' 'They won't be here before ten.' You can't put a noun after a modal verb, or an -ing verb, or anything else, only an infinitive verb without 'to'.

比方:“她能说流畅的西班牙语。”“在咱们领会更多以前,咱们不该该做任何事变。”“他们十点前不会到这里,”你不克不及把名词、-ing 动词或其他任何工具放在情态动词后面,只能加没有“to”的不定式动词。

Rule number two: modal verbs can't be used in different times or tenses.

法则二:情态动词不克不及用于分歧的时候或时态。

Modal verbs don't have past, perfect or future tenses like regular verbs do.

情态动词不像平凡动词那样有曩昔、完成或未来时态。

There are some cases where this isn't 100% true.

在某些环境下,这不是100%准确的。

For example, 'could' is the past tense of 'can' in some cases.

比方,在某些环境下,“could”是“can”的曩昔式。

'Would' sometimes acts like a past version of 'will'.

“Would”有时是“will”的曩昔式。

However, 'could' can also have a present or future meaning.

但是,“could”也能够有@如%3wFF5%今或将%kc515%来@的寄义。

It's better to think about each modal verb individually.

最佳零丁斟酌每一个情态动词的环境。

Rule number three: modal verbs are auxiliary verbs.

法则三:情态动词是助动词。

That means you make negatives by adding 'not' to the end of the verb.

这象征着必要在动词末尾加之“不”来举行否认。

For example: can, can't.

好比:能,不克不及。

Would, wouldn't.

会,不会。

Might, might not.

可能,可能不会。

Negative modal verbs are often contracted, although 'might not' and 'may not' are usually written fully, without contractions.

否认情态动词凡是是缩写的,虽然“might not”和“may not”凡是是完备的,不举行缩写。

For 'will' and 'shall', the spelling changes in the negative: will, won't; shall, shan't.

对付“will”和“will”,否认情势的拼写会变革:will, won't; shall, shan't。

To make a question, move the modal verb before the subject.

要举行发问的话,把情态动词移到主语前。

For example: 'Should I tell him?' 'What would you do?'

What about the other question: why are modal verbs important?

比方:“我应当奉告他吗?”“你会怎样做?”另外一个问题呢:为甚么情态动词很首要?

Modal verbs can express many basic concepts which you will need regularly, in any situation.

情态动词可以表达很多你在任何环境下都必要的根基观点。

Modal verbs are used to express obligation, give advice, talk about possibility and probability, ask for permission, and more.

情态动词用于表达义务、给出建议、评论辩论可能性和几率、哀求允许等等。

Next, let's look at the meanings which modal verbs can express in more detail.

接下来,让咱们更具体地看看情态动词可以表达的意思吧。

Can I ask you something?

我能问你点事吗?

Sure.

固然。

I'm thinking I might ask for a transfer to the Singapore office.

我可能想请求调到新加坡处事处。

I've always wanted to live abroad, and I think now's the right time.

我一向想住在外洋,我想如今是时辰了。

What do you think?

你感觉呢?

I think if you've thought about it, then

you should try it.

我想若是你这么想的话,那你应当尝尝。

Better to regret something you did than something you didn't do; that's my view.

懊悔做过总比懊悔没做过好;这是我的概念。

H妹妹… Will they agree, though?

嗯……不外,他们会赞成吗?

You don't know till you ask!

你不问怎样晓得呢!

Anyway, I'm sure they'll agree; you have a good track record here, and if you come back later you'll have a lot of valuable experience.

无论怎么,我信赖他们会赞成的;你在这里有很好的记实,若是你今后回来的话,会有不少贵重的履历。

So, they should say yes.

以是,他们应当会赞成的。

I'm just worried, because I know that Olga asked for a transfer to Canada, and they wouldn't let her… That's a totally different situation.

我只是担忧,由于我晓得奥尔加请求调到加拿大,他们并无赞成……那是彻底分歧的环境啊。

Olga's a tax specialist; she's irreplaceable.

奥尔加是税务专家;她是不成替换的。

I wanted to ask one more thing: will you write a reference for me?

我想再问一件事:你会为我写举荐信吗?

No problem!

没问题!

I'd be happy to.

我很甘愿答应哦。

There's one more thing you must do before you apply.

在你申请以前,另有一件事必需要做。

What's that?

那是甚么呢?

Talk to the Singapore office.

与新加坡处事处扳谈。

I can put you in contact if you need.

若是你必要的话,我可以帮你接洽。

That's great!

那太棒了!

Thanks so much for helping me out.

很是感激你帮我。

You can use modal verbs to express nine fundamental ideas.

你可以用情态动词来表达九个根基观点。

Maybe you're thinking: "That's nice and easy!

或许你在想:“好轻易啊!

There are nine modal verbs, and nine meanings, so each verb must have one meaning, right?" Nope!

情态动词有九个,九个意思,以是每一个动词必定有一个意思,对吧?”不是的!

Unfortunately, it's more complicated than that.

不幸的是,事变比这加倍繁杂。

First, the nine meanings are broad.

第一,九个意思是宽泛的。

Each contains several smaller ideas.

每一个情态动词都包括更渺小的意思。

Secondly, every modal verb can have more than one meaning.

其次,每一个情态动词均可以有不止一个意思。

Anyway, we'll worry about that later!

无论怎么,咱们今后再担忧这个问题吧!

For now, let's look at the nine fundamental ideas which modal verbs can express.

如今,让咱们来看看情态动词可以表达的九个根基观点。

Asking permission.

哀求允许。

Expressing possibility or impossibility, when you think something could be true or not.

表达可能性或不成能性,当你认为某事多是真的或不成能的时辰。

Giving advice or suggestions.

供给定见或建议。

Expressing certainty or uncertainty, when you're sure something is true or not.

暗示肯定或不肯定,当你肯定某事是真是假时。

Expressing probability, when you think one result is more likely than another.

暗示几率,当你认为一个成果比另外一个更有可能时。

Expressing willingness or refusal, for example when someone lets or doesn't let someone else do something.

暗示愿意或回绝,比方当或人让或不让他人做某事时。

Making a request or an offer.

提出请求或提议。

Expressing an obligation, when it's necessary to do something.

暗示义务,当有需要做某事时。

Expressing ability, when someone has the capacity to do something, or not.

表达能力,当或人有能力做某事或没有能力做某事时。

In the dialogue, there's at least one example of each of these nine basic meanings.

在对话中,这九个根基寄义中的每个都最少有一个例子。

Can you find them?

你能找到它们吗?

If you want a challenge, go back and listen to the dialogue again.

若是你想要挑战的话,归去再听一遍对话吧。

Try to find one sentence with a modal verb which expresses each of the nine basic meanings.

试着找一个带有情态动词的句子来表达九个根基意思中的每个吧。

Let's look together.

让咱们一块儿看看。

Here are nine sentences from the dialogue.

如下是对话中的九个句子。

The first sentence is asking permission.

第一句是哀求允许。

You use 'can' to ask 'Is this OK?' Sentence two is talking about possibility.

你用 can 来问如许可以吗?第二句是评论辩论可能性。

You're saying that something is possible, but not certain.

你表达的是有些事变是可能的,但不肯定。

The third sentence is giving advice.

第三句是给建议。

Number four is expressing certainty.

第四个是表达肯定性。

You're sure that something is true now, or that something will happen in the future.

你确信如今某事是真的,或未来会产生某事。

In case you're wondering, possibility and certainty are closely related.

若是你想晓得的话,可能性和肯定性是紧密亲密相干的。

We're separating them, but you could also see them as two sides of the same idea.

咱们把它们分隔了,但你也能够把它们看做是统一个设法的两面。

However, probability, as in sentence five, is different.

但是,几率,如第五句,是分歧的。

Here's a question: what's the difference between probability and possibility?

这里有一个问题:几率和可能性有甚么区分?

Probability has different levels.

几率有分歧的条理。

Something can be 90% probable, or 50% or 20%, or whatever.

事变可能有 90% 的几率,或 50%、20%等等的可能性。

Possibility is binary: either something is possible, or it isn't.

可能性是二元的:要末是可能的,要末不是。

It doesn't make sense to say that something is 50% possible.

说某件事有50%的可能性是没成心义的。

This might sound abstract, but it's relevant to using modal verbs.

这听起来可能很抽象,但它与利用情态动词有关。

Here, 'should' expresses probability.

在这里,“应当”暗示几率。

The sentence 'They should say yes' means that it's more likely they'll say 'yes' than 'no'.

句子“他们应当会赞成”的意思是他们更有可能说“是”而不是“不”。

The sixth sentence expresses refusal.

第六句暗示回绝。

'Wouldn't' here has a similar meaning to 'refused to'.

“Wouldn't”在这里有雷同于回绝的意思。

Number seven is a request, when you ask someone to do something for you.

第七个是哀求,当你请求或人为你做某事时。

The eighth sentence expresses an obligation.

第八句表达了一种义务。

'Must' here means that it's necessary to do something.

“Must”在这里暗示有需要做某事。

Finally, the ninth sentence expresses ability.

最后,第九句表达能力。

So, there's a lot of information here!

以是,这里有不少信息!

What should you take away?

你应当带走甚么呢?

Let's look at two key points.

咱们来看两个关头点吧。

First, not every modal verb was used in these nine sentences.

起首,并不是所有情态动词都在这九个句子顶用到了。

There's no 'could', no 'shall' and no 'may'.

没有“could”,没有“shall”,也没有“may”。

What does this tell you?

这奉告论文你甚么呢?

It shows you what we told you before: every modal verb can have more than one meaning.

它表白了咱们以前奉告你的一件事:每一个情态动词均可以有不止一个意思。

Also, it shows you that every idea, like obligation, certainty, and so on, can be expressed by more than one modal verb.

别的,它还向你展现了每一个设法,如义务、肯定性等,均可以用多个情态动词来表达。

Let's look at this point in more detail.

让咱们更具体地看看这一点。

Can you look at something for me?

你能帮我看样工具吗?

Sure.

固然。

What's up?

怎样了?

It's my laptop.

这是我的条记本电脑。

It's acting weirdly.

它有点奇异。

I know you're good with these things, so… What's the problem exactly?

我晓得你很长于这些,以是……究竟是甚么问题?

It keeps freezing, and I can't do anything for a while.

它一向死机,我有一段时候甚么也做不了。

Sometimes it's just a few seconds, but sometimes it goes on for half an hour.

有时只是几秒钟,但有时会延续半个小时。

It's really annoying!

真的很烦人!

Older laptops can get like that sometimes.

旧的条记本电脑有时会如许。

But I only bought it six months ago!

但我是半年前才买的!

Do you have an antivirus program?

你有防病毒步伐吗?

Yes, and I do scans regularly.

是的,我按期做扫描。

It can't be a virus.

不成能是病毒。

I'm not so good with technology, but I am pretty security conscious.

我不太长于技能,但我颇有平安意识。

H妹妹… That's probably not the problem, then.

嗯……那可能不是问题地点。

Can I take it for an hour or so?

我可以拿走一个小时摆布吗?

I'll need your login password, too.

我也必要你的登录暗码。

That way I can take a proper look.

如许我可以好好查抄一下。

OK, here.

好的,这里。

Thank you so much!

很是感激你!

In this dialogue, there were five different sentences using the modal verb 'can'.

在这个对话中,有五个分歧的句子利用情态动词“can”。

Do you remember them?

你还记得它们吗?

Here they are.

它们在这里。

In each sentence, 'can' has a different meaning.

在每一个句子中,“can”都有分歧的意思。

Think about the nine basic meanings of modal verbs, which you saw in section two.

想一想情态动词的九个根基寄义,你在第二节看到了。

Can you explain the meaning of 'can' in each of these sentences?

你能诠释一下这些句子中 can 的意思吗?

Can you see how they're different?

你能看出它们有甚么分歧吗?

'Can you look at something for me?' is a request.

“你能帮我看样工具吗,”是一个哀求。

'I can't do anything for a while' expresses ability.

“我临时甚么也做不了”暗示能力。

'Older laptops can get like that sometimes' expresses a general possibility.

“旧的条记本电脑有时会酿成如许”,这表达了一种广泛的可能性。

It's like saying 'It's co妹妹on for older laptops to get like that.' 'It can't be a virus' expresses certainty.

这就像说“旧条记本电脑酿成如许是很常见的”。“不成能是病毒”表达了肯定性。

It's like saying 'I'm sure it isn't a virus.' 'Can I take it for an hour or so?' is asking permission to do something.

这就像说:“我肯定这不是病毒。”“我能用一个小时摆布吗,”是哀求容许做某事。

This is just one modal verb.

这只是一个情态动词。

'Can' is an extreme example, because most modal verbs don't have five different meanings.

“Can”是一个极真个例子,@由%22R68%于大大%5xAu9%都@情态动词没有五种分歧的寄义。

Actually, 'can' has a sixth meaning — it can be used to make an offer, as in 'Can I help you with anything?' However, every modal verb has at least two different meanings, and most have three or four.

现实上,can 另有第六个意思,它可以用来暗示志愿供给办事,好比说:“我能帮你甚么吗?”但是,每一个情态动词最少有两个分歧的寄义,大大都有三个或四个。

So, what's the point here?

那末,这有甚么意义呢?

Point one: really don't try to understand modal verbs by translating them into your language.

第一点:不要试图经由过程将情态动词翻译成你的说话来理解它们。

Of course, this is true generally, but it's especially important with modal verbs, because they don't translate cleanly between languages.

固然,一般来讲这是准确的,可是对付情态动词来讲特别首要,由于它们不克不及在说话之间清楚地翻译。

If you think that 'can' in English translates to one verb in your language, you'll create problems for yourself.

若是你想把英语中的“can”翻译成你说话中的一个动词,如许会给本身带来问题。

Point two: to understand a modal verb in a sentence, you need to understand the context.

要点二:要理解句子中的情态动词,你必要理解上下文。

Again, this is general advice, but again it's especially important with modal verbs.

一样地,这是一般性的建议,但它对情态动词出格首要。

The meaning of a modal verb can be completely different in different contexts.

情态动词的意思在分歧的语境中可能彻底分歧。

Point three: the different meanings of a modal verb are unconnected.

第三点:情态动词的分歧寄义是不相干的。

Look at two sentences with 'must' : 'It must be late — it's dark outside.' 'You must read this article.

看两个带“must”的句子:“ 如今必定很晚了—— 外面很黑。”“你必需读这篇文章。

It's so interesting!' What does 'must' mean in these two sentences?

它太有趣了!”这两个句子中的“must”是甚么意思?

In the first sentence, 'must' expresses certainty.

在第一句中,“must”暗示肯定性。

You're saying 'I'm sure it's late, because it's dark outside.' In the second sentence, 'must' expresses strong advice.

你说:“我必定如今很晚了,由于外面很黑。”在第二句中,“must”表达了强烈的建议。

Most English learners will first learn 'must' to express obligation, in sentences like 'Employees must keep records of all expenses.' Often, they'll think about 'must' by translating it into their language.

大大都英语进修者起首会进修“must”来表达义务,好比“员工必需记实所有用度”。凡是,他们会经由过程将“must”翻译成他们的说话来举行思虑。

Then, when they see the word 'must', they think about the verb in their language.

然后,当他们看到“ must”这个词时,他们会想到他们说话中的动词。

If you do this, you might think that other meanings of 'must' are somehow connected to the idea of obligation, or whatever you learned first.

若是你如许做的话,你可能会认为“must”的其他寄义与义务的观点或你起首学到的其他观点有关。

But, there's no connection.

可是,实际上是没有接洽的。

It's just coincidence that you use the word 'must' in these three sentences.

你在这三个句子中利用“must”这个词只是偶合。

The meaning is completely different in each case.

在每种环境下,寄义彻底分歧。

There's no connection except that the word is the same.

除这个词是同样的,其他没有任何接洽。

Now, let's look at one more thing you should know about modal verbs.

如今,让咱们再看一个关于情态动词你应当晓得的要点。

What time are we supposed to be there?

咱们应当何时到那边呢?

Ten, I think, but I think we ought to aim to arrive at least fifteen minutes before.

我感觉是十点吧,但我认为咱们应当最少提早十五分钟达到。

So, that means we have to leave here at… what?

以是,这象征着咱们必需在……何时分开这里?

Nine?

九点?

We'd better leave earlier, I think.

我想咱们最佳早点动身。

There's a metro strike tomorrow, so the traffic will be terrible.

来日诰日地铁停运,以是交通会很糟。

Are we going to drive, or take a taxi?

咱们要开车仍是打车呢?

I'm not sure we'll be able to find a taxi, so I think driving is best.

我不肯定咱们能不克不及找到出租车,以是我认为开车最佳。

In the dialogue, you heard several examples of semi-modal verbs.

在对话中,你听到了几个半情态动词的例子。

Do you know what these are?

你晓得这些是甚么吗?

Here are the sentences you heard.

这是你听到的句子。

So, what are semi-modal verbs?

那末,甚么是半情态动词呢?

Semi-modals have some of the features of modal verbs, but not all.

半情态动词具备情态动词的一些特性,但不是全数的特性。

Most importantly, semi-modal verbs do the same thing as modal verbs.

最首要的是,半情态动词和情态动词功效是不异的。

They add information to other verbs.

它们为其他动词添加信息。

They can express many of the same ideas, like obligation or giving advice.

它们可以表达很多不异的设法,好比义务或给出建议。

They don't follow all the gra妹妹ar rules of regular modal verbs.

它们不遵守通例情态动词的所有语律例则。

For example, 'have to' is a semi-modal, and you can use it in different tenses: it has a past tense, 'had to' ; you can use it in the present perfect, 'I have had to…' and so on.

比方,“have to”是一个半情态动词,你可以在分歧的时态中利用它:它有一个曩昔式,“had to”;你可以在如今完成时利用它,好比说“我已不能不……”等等。

Often, modals and semi-modals can be used with the same meaning.

凡是,情态动词和半情态动词具备不异的寄义。

Look at two sentences: 'It'll rain this afternoon.' 'It's going to rain this afternoon.' Here, you use 'going to', which is a semi-modal, to express certainty, in the same way that you can use 'will'.

看两个句子:“今全国午会下雨。”“今全国午要下雨。”在这里,你可使用“going to”,这是一个半情态动词,来表达肯定性,就像你可使用“will”同样。

It doesn't matter which verb you use in this case.

在这类环境下,你利用哪一个动词其实不首要。

However, in some cases, semi-modal verbs have their own specific meaning.

但是,在某些环境下,半情态动词有本身的特定寄义。

For example, 'supposed to' is similar to 'should', but not the same.

比方,“supposed to”与“should”类似,但不不异。

Look at two sentences: 'We're supposed to be there at ten.' 'We should be there at ten.' The basic meaning is similar, but not the same.

看两句话:“咱们应当十点钟到那边。”“咱们应当十点钟到那边。”根基意思类似,但不不异。

If you use 'should', you're saying that you think this is important.

若是你利用“should”的话,你是说你认为这很首要。

If you use 'supposed to', you mean that other people think that this is important.

若是你用“supposed to”的话,你的意思是其别人认为这很首要。

'We're supposed to be there at ten', suggests that someone else has told you to be there at ten, and maybe it's not so important to you.

“咱们应当十点钟到那边”,表白他人奉告你十点钟到那边,或许这对你来讲其实不首要。

Maybe you're thinking at this point: how many semi-modal verbs are there?

或许你如今在想:有几多个半情态动词呢?

Can you give us a list?

你能给咱们一个列表吗?

Not really, because it's not entirely clear what makes something a semi-modal verb.

其实不能哦,由于还不彻底清晰是甚么使某个词成为半情态动词。

Many textbooks will say that 'need' or 'dare' are semi-modals, but they're rarely used in this way in modern English.

很多教科书会说“need”或“dare”是半情态动词,但在现代英语中很少如许利用。

The most co妹妹on semi-modals are all in the dialogue at the beginning of this section.

最多见的半情态词都在本节开首的对话中。

If you understand how to use these six semi-modals, you are doing well!

若是你大白若何利用这六个半情态的话,那就已很好啦!

Finally, a question: which modal verb is most difficult for you to understand and use in English?

最后一个问题:英语中你最难理解和利用的情态动词是哪一个?

Why do you think that is?

你认为那是为甚么呢?

Please share your thoughts in the co妹妹ents!

请在评论平分享你的设法吧!

Thanks for watching!

感激收看!

See you next time!